In 1928, the windmill was
built by Carl Olson in Powers Lake and was used to supply
water and to grind wheat for the family.
It was donated to Roosevelt
Park in the mid-1960s by Olson's family. A favorite spot for
visitors and photographers, the forces of man and nature
took their toll on the windmill and it was taken down for
repairs. A volunteer effort, led by Scandinavian Heritage
board member Lawrence Thompson, provided a new, more
prominent rock and concrete base for the Windmill's present
dedicated, along with the Flag Display, on October 12, 1992.